Tiger Tales

Bench serves as memorial for student

Carter Birch, Reporter

PCHS has recently installed a bench to serve as a memorial for Kaydence Hyneman, an incoming freshman student who died this summer.
Hyneman was 14 years old born on Dec. 26, 2002 and died July 21, 2017 from a rare cancer Rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) that had made its way into her legs and traveled to her lungs.
Hyneman enjoyed many things such as rock music, drums, and movies and more than any, her friends.
Freshmen Karlee Birch and Kendle Ritcheson were close friends with Hyneman.
According to Birch, they would often walk to the Hazelton park and play basketball all summer long. Birch and Hyneman both stated that above all Kaydence was the best friend they could ever wish for.
The school now has a bench in memorial of Kaydence thanks to the parents and students who went to freshmen orientation. Most of the money to pay for the bench came solely from the money that was put into the offering bucket while it was passed around.
PCHS had a memorial ceremony Sept. 15th to officially announce that the bench was done and that it would be placed.
40-50 people came to the ceremony to see the bench for Kaydence according to Stacy Hurt, drama teacher.
At the ceremony we all stood around the bench shared stories of Kaydence and her life,” said Ritcheson.
According to Hurt they temporarily sat the bench near door 26 but really want to move it to a place that everyone can use it. They are leaning toward putting it by the front office outside so that when students wait to get picked up they can sit there. They want it to be somewhere where everyone can see and truly appreciate it. The bench is will be here for a long time and will always be a good reminder of Hyneman.