Tiger Tales

Some areas underserved by sidewalks

Chandon Brucks, Reporter

In the past few years Princeton has gotten many upgrades. The round about, the sidewalk around the square, the new parking lot by the old movie theater, these are just of the few things that happened around the town.

It bothers me that they decide to replace the ‘old’ sidewalks with the new ones because there are parts around town that don’t even have sidewalks.”

— John Damron, senior

Some have noticed that priority was given to repairing the sidewalks around the square instead of replacing and repairing sidewalks beyond the square that need it.
Before the town can start construction on a job, the mayor has to approve and the council has to vote and say it’s a good idea, which allows them to work on it, and start making plans. So every time the mayor has an idea he has to form a plan and bring it to the council.
Kayla Hayes, a teacher here at PCHS was wondering the same thing, lucky for her, her mother is a member of the Economic Board for Gibson County.
“Princeton was given a grant to replace the more used sidewalks,” Hayes said.
A grant is a lump sum of money to fix or repair a certain part of the town, and oddly enough, we got one for the sidewalks and for around the square.
“I like the improvements around the square and the new light poles, it looks a lot better,” Hayes said.
On the other side we have students who walk or ride bikes to and from school and have direct experience with the sidewalk issues. Senior John Damron is one of those students who has been affected.
“It bothers me that they decide to replace the ‘old’ sidewalks with the new ones because there are parts around town that don’t even have sidewalks,” he said.
Damron said he has been affected by these choices, it has cost him money on popped inter tubes on his bike, due to this he now rides in the street to get away from the rugged sidewalks.
However, while that helps Damron from damaging his bike, there are still safety concerns. According to the Pedestrian & Bicycle Information Center, in 2015 more than 5,000 people were killed in crashes involving pedestrians and motor vehicles.