Tiger Tales

Hurricanes wreak havoc

Students can help by donating to Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity and others

Tyler Teeters, Photo editor

Seven named storms have formed so far in the 2017 hurricane season. That is on track to match some of the most active seasons we have ever recorded.

Many families have had to evacuate their homes and hope that it would still be there when they got back.  127,000 people had taken refuge in 500 shelters across Florida, according to the Associated Press.

“Hurricane Irma made landfall in the Florida Keys on September 10 as a Category 4. Irma’s wind speeds were recorded as high as 142 miles per hour.” The highest rainfall recorded was 11.87 inches.

Hurricane Irma destroyed 95% of the buildings in Barbuda, a small island in the eastern Caribbean that forms part of the sovereign Commonwealth nation of Antigua and Barbuda.

These people desperately need help. Recovering from these hurricanes is going to take years and a lot of money.

The preliminary estimate for rebuilding Barbuda is about $300 million.

There are many ways you can help these people. From donating to reputable organizations, like American Red Cross or Salvation Army, to even starting your own fundraiser to help people in need.

With the right campaign you could raise thousands of dollars from a diverse array of donors, all looking to help people in need.

There are many people who have been left homeless by the hurricane. That’s where Habitat for Humanity comes in.

By donating to Habitat for Humanity you’ll join the over 76,000 donors who have helped the organization raise $14,074,690 for its global volunteering program so far.

Hurricane Harvey hit Texas and left Houston underwater, and an estimated 211,000 people without power.

There are now at least 63 deaths related to Hurricane Harvey, according to CBS News.

The mayor Sylvester Turner established a Harvey relief fund at The Greater Houston Community Foundation. The organization connects donors with a network of nonprofits and innovative solutions in the social sector.