Tiger Tales

Students hunting for the big game this season

Students put forth time, money in preparation for hunting season

Shelby Meade, Sports editor

Students use their time in many different ways, these students aim for a different lifestyle than most. Hunting is not only a hobby it’s a lifestyle lived.

My favorite thing about hunting is that I connect with nature, I love getting up early and going out and sitting in the stand when it’s still dark and listening to the sounds of the woods. I enjoy hunting and I like to fill up the freezer”

— Chance Anderson, sophomore

Chance Anderson and Savannah Grambrle both talk about the costs and preparation for their hunting seasons.
Anderson, sophomore, has been hunting for five years. Anderson said he doesn’t only hunt deer, he also hunts squirrels, rabbits, ducks, geese, turkeys, doves, coyotes, and raccoons.

He said he usually spends around $500 dollars on the hunting season.

“Most of the money I spend is in the seed for the food plots that the deer to eat. It can range from $50-$120 depending on what brand and how much seed I plant. Another big thing is trail cameras, ranging from $80-$100, I normally buy a new one each year,” Anderson said.

Anderson said to prepare for the season he washes all of his camo clothes in a scent controlled detergent and he shoots his gun and bow to make sure everything is ready.

Anderson said he has one ground blind and five tree stands, while in his tree stands and his blind he brings a book to pass time and he periodically looks around and listens for deer.

When hunting deer and coyotes he said he uses a high caliber rifle, when hunting doves, ducks, geese, and turkeys he uses a shotgun. When hunting squirrels he uses a shotgun or a small caliber rifle, depending on the time of year, Anderson said.

“My favorite thing about hunting is that I connect with nature, I love getting up early and going out and sitting in the stand when it’s still dark and listening to the sounds of the woods. I enjoy hunting and I like to fill up the freezer,” said Anderson.

Deer is his favorite animal to hunt because of the preparation that goes into the season, putting up the trail cameras, planting food plots, and scouting, said Anderson, “Oh, and I like a nice rack too.”
Anderson said that he is very serious about hunting, after football season he goes straight to the woods.

Savannah Grambrle, freshman, has been hunting since she was about six years old.

Grambrle said that she hunts with her dad, and they only hunt deer.

“I am very committed to the sport, being able to spend time with my dad is my favorite thing about hunting,” said Grambrle.

Grambrle said that she has shot with a bow but wasn’t a big fan, she will stick to her 30-30.

Grambrle said that she spends around $300-$500 a year on hunting gear, unless she needs a new stand which would bump that cost up quite a bit.

“I go and shoot my gun to make sure it’s in sight, and go check and put up tree stands, and sometimes buys new hunting clothes,” said Grambrle about preparing for the season.