Tiger Tales

Students gain valuable life experience while in the child care class

Marissa Whetstone, Reporter

Child care isn’t just any class, it’s a class that let’s students interact with children and grow with them. Child care isn’t just any class, it’s a class that let’s students interact with children and grow with them. Melanie Donnell, the teacher for child care at Princeton Community High School, said she has 27 Tiger Tots this year and 24 students taking the class. The cost for children six months to a year is $135 per week, a year to three years is $125 a week, and the cost for

Melanie Donnell, the teacher for child care at Princeton Community High School, said she has 27 Tiger Tots this year and 24 students taking the class. The cost for children six months to a year is $135 per week, a year to three years is $125 a week, and the cost for

The cost for children six months to a year is $135 per week, a year to three years is $125 a week, and the cost for three year olds to five year olds is $120 a week. If the students at Princeton Community High School have children that they bring there, it is free.

Donnell says her favorite part of teaching the class is having the privilege of watching most of her Tiger Tots from as early as 6 months old up to 5 years when they leave for kindergarten.

She gets to see a lot of “firsts” for them. First time rolling over, first time sitting up, first time crawling, the list goes on and on.

“We are a family in Tiger Tots. We build a beautiful relationship of trust and love that melts my heart over and over each year,” Donnell said.

Some student aides come in well-trained from baby siblings or babysitting jobs. Some come in clueless of what goes into watching an infant-preschool age child.

“To watch them build a relationship with the kids is amazing,” Donnell said.

Regan Merrill, a student at Princeton Community High School, has childcare 2nd period and says she wants to be a child psychologist. Merrill says she either “does the dishes, sweep and wipe tables, fill up cups, or takes the kids to the bathroom.

“Basically which ever job is written down for me and what needs to be done,” she said.

Merrill also said that, by far, getting to play with the kids is definitely her favorite part of the class.