Tiger Tales

Wrestling season is back!

Sean Brock, Section editor

The new season for wrestling is starting up and the team is struggling to find new wrestlers and find better ways to compete. The head coach of the wrestling team is JAG teacher, Michael Duckworth.

“Individually I think we are going to be good. As a team is numbers aren’t where we need them to be and it is going to be tough to be successful. We just need more wrestlers,” Duckworth said.

The wrestling practices have changed and Duckworth said he is going to try new moves and show the team different tactics for wrestling. The usual practice starts off with conditioning. Then after conditioning, they stretch and get loose. After they stretch they do individual techniques, technique review, and then live wrestling. After they spar they have a competition to see how everyone is doing.They end off practice with an eight-minute buyout, then a cooldown. They practice for about an hour and a half to two hours.

“We are trying new things this year. We changed training regiments this year, incorporated new moves and techniques that we are going to show the team,” Duckworth stated.

A wrestler that is coming back is Senior, Chase Wilson. Last year, Wilson qualified for state but fell short, but this year he says that he expects to get top 3 in state.

“ I work really hard and I expect to do really well this season,” Wilson said.

He plans on working out at least three days a week, and eat a lot of healthy foods like chicken, fish, and vegetables.

Wilson says that he likes going and traveling with the team, and just having people being with him on his journey.

“The thing I’m looking forward to the most about this season is the overnight trips with the team,” Wilson said.

Another wrestler that is coming back this year is Senior, Luke Dunn.

Last year Dunn went to semi-state, now this year his plans are to go to state.

“I have been wrestling for 14 years”, Dunn said.

Dunn said that the thing he looks forward to most is the overnight trips because he enjoys staying at the hotels.

“We are preparing for this season by doing a lot of conditioning and getting better at techniques”, Dunn said.

He says that his goals for this season are to be the conference champion, semi-state qualifier, and get 40 plus wins.

Pull quote: “Individually I think we are going to be good. As a team is numbers aren’t where we need them to be and it is going to be tough to be successful. We just need more wrestlers,” Duckworth said.