Tiger Tales

The Finals Fiasco

Tyler Teeters, Reporter

Finals come every year at the end of the semester and somehow always manage to completely blindside students. Finals are usually worth at least 20% of students’ grade. While that isn’t enough to take the student from an A to an F, it is enough to make or break the grade.

However, there are ways to ensure that finals don’t ruin a grade. It is something that all students are capable of, but something that few students actually do. Studying, while it might not be the most popular solution,  is the simplest.

Henry Wilhite, sophomore at PCHS, has studied for his finals in an attempt to keep a 4.0 GPA, and said it has worked well for him. He passed all of his finals last year with pretty high grades, he said. This year he said that he plans to stick with what works. Wilhite said that he finds it easier to study in a group with his friends.

“We go over notes together and quiz each other over practice problems,” Wilhite said

Beth Sexton, science teacher at PCHS, tries to help her students prepare as best as she can.

“I give a written review and then the morning of the test I literally read the test to them,” Sexton said.

Sexton says that her final is worth 20 percent of the student’s semester grade, and says that her test contains an equal number of questions from all five chapters she has covered.

Gary Kinswa, tenth grade English teacher, actually doesn’t give a final. Kinswa said that he thinks the best way for students to study would be to keep comprehensive notes throughout the semester so that they are able to look back and get a pretty good idea of what was covered. He said that it also helped him to retype his notes to refresh and solidify the information that was covered.  

However, some students and teachers are confused by finals. Neither understand why such a large percentage of student’s grades should be decided by one test.

“I think that they have some merit but I do not believe that they can determine the ability of a student, but rather the preparedness at a single moment,” Kinswa said.