Tiger Tales

Old music will never die

Katelynn Mace, Reporter

Students use music as a way to relax and relieve stress.  With earbuds in their ears almost 24 hours what they listen to and who the artist is can be important for the music to be what is most interesting to them and what they enjoy hearing.  While some students swear by the current rap and updated hip-hop tunes there are some people that claim the early 60’s to late 90’s music to be there current jams.

While walking up and down the halls someone could never know what was playing in the headphones of a fellow student.  But what is interesting is that most students find themselves enjoying the older bands and music, where everyone lives in the time where Careless Whisper by George Michael and Take on Me by AHA are sung along word for word and blared through radios of teenagers instead of the rap we usually hear on the radios.  Senior Nathaniel Wheatley is amongst the many at this school who have an eye for the more “original” music time.

“My favorite song is One in A Million by Guns and Roses,” Wheatley said.  “ I listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns and Roses, and Mötley Crüe, these are some of my favorite bands.  I like the guitar and how real it sounds as well as how real the meaning is in the lyrics.”

Bands that became famous in the 60’s and all the way through the 90’s are becoming popular again.  Bands like Nirvana are still selling records and soaring through halls with humming and muffled headphones noises.  When riding with friends it is most common that people are allured to the older music because of its relaxed meaning and less vulgar connotations.  Junior Kaydan Carver listens to an assortment of bands ranging through these forty years.

I like to listen to bands like Def Leppard, The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys, and also Eric Clapton,” Karver said.  “Those bands are all original and genuine. All the music today is sampled these bands came up with their own meanings and their own lyrics.”

Many people like music because it makes them feel good like they’re a part of something.  The right type of music can make someone feel like they belong and they really start to get lost in the music.  Senior Katherine Grubb feels this way about music.

“These bands like Nirvana and Metallica or even Sublime, their music just is so original and good, you know,” said Grubb.  “It’s something that just makes me feel something and I love the bands for doing that. It’s all the reason why I listen to them.”