Tiger Tales

School uniforms

Shai Santos, Reporter

On average one in five schools around the US require their students to wear uniforms. Public and private schools have an average of 23% of wearing school uniforms. As reported on Today.com, it states, “The percentage of public schools whose principals reported enforcement of a strict dress code rose from 47% to 57% during the decade.” According to National Retail Federation, the average cost of school uniforms cost $688.66 per year.  By 2013, the number of uniform costs decreased to $634.78.

According to procon.org, it states that the people who agree to school uniforms think that school uniforms would make the school safer for the kids. On the other hand, those who disapprove uniforms say that students should have a right to wear express themselves based on their clothing.

On January 3, 1996, former President Bill Clinton states, “If it means that teenagers will stop killing each other over designer jackets, then our public schools should be able to require their students to wear school uniforms.” Although most parents might like this idea, other parents don’t agree with the former President’s statement. Released in 2014 by the National Center for Education Statistics, the number of public schools nationwide requiring school uniforms increased 13% during the 2003-2004 school year to 19% during the 2012-2013 school year

CreditDonkey states that the jury is still questioning if uniforms reduce the amount of bullying. Because bullying happens in schools all around the U.S, the teachers believe that school uniforms would help reduce the potential for aggressive behavior among other students. “In fact, 64% of elementary school principals say that uniforms have a positive impact on bullying, despite a lack of supporting academic research.” Also stated on CreditDonkey, evidence proposes that required uniforms could increase the number of students who could earn their diploma. The graduation rate increased by almost 8% after uniforms were introduced.

In an interview, Jeri Parks states that schools shouldn’t have to wear uniforms because the cost of uniforms is expensive.

When asked why feels this way about uniforms, Parks responds with, “Because I had to wear uniforms at my old school and I hated it.”

Parks also stated that students don’t care about what the other students wear when asked if the students would excel more in their school work if they wear uniforms.

PCHS wrestler, Nick Jett stated that no one would obey the uniform dress code. Jett also said that he had to wear uniforms in 5th grade and that he hated wearing them.

When asked if the students would excel in school, he responded, “Nah, you can get good grades and look good at the same time.”

Even though half the parents in the world want their child’s school to require uniforms, the other half of parents don’t want their child’s school to require uniforms. Besides the cost of uniforms for students, uniforms would be faster for the student to get ready early in the morning. The debate about this topic will most likely continue as the years go on.