Semi State for Band Competitions

Jazmine Barton, Editor

For semi-state, you have to be really good and you have to follow specific rules or else the band that you are with will get docked points for not behaving properly and the band has to behave extremely properly. If you yell while a band is performing and you are a fan and wearing your band’s shirt name or where you are from, they will dock points from that band because you were not behaving properly. If you are yelling over a band while a band is performing at semi-state, you might not be able to go to state the following weekend. If you want to get inside the stands to sit down and a band is performing, you will have to wait until after the band is done performing before you can even enter the stands to sit down. They will even close the ramps until a band is done performing because if you move while a band is performing, then you are being disrespectful to that band, even if you are in a wheelchair or an electric scooter that looks like a wheelchair.
At semi-state, you have to follow certain rules and directions or else the band you are there for might not get to go to state. If you do not stay quiet in the hangout or chill hallway, the band that you want to go to the band state might not go to State for the band. If you want the band that you are with to want to go to State, then you might want to be respectful and be nice to the other bands because you never know where a judge might be at. If a judge is near you and you make a mean comment about another band, then the band that you are with might get docked points. The points docked depends on the mood that the judge is in and how disrespectful you are with the comments about other bands.
Twin Lakes/ Monticello’s marching band is one of the ten marching bands that did not get into the top ten and their theme is “OFF THE RAILS,” Northwestern/ Kokomo high school marching band is another band that did not make it to State and their theme is “IT STARTS WITH ONE,” for this school year. The other marching bands that did not make it to State is Twin Lakes/ Monticello, Scottsburg, Jimtown/ Elkhart, Corydon Central, Angola, Bosse/ Evansville, Boonville, Knox, and Benton Central/ Oxford. Scottsburg’s marching band theme this school year is “FINDING PARADISE,” which I think is an amazing theme for the marching band, Jimtown/ Elkhart’s marching band theme is “ONE OF A KIND.” Croydon Central is another marching band that did not make it to State and their theme is “THE LONG ROAD HOME,” and one of the other bands that did not make it to state is Angola, and their theme is “FORTRESS.” Bosse/ Evansville’s marching band theme this school year is “THE QUEEN BEE,” and another marching band that did not make it to State is Boonville, and their theme this school year is “ONE FROGGY EVENING.”Knox did not make it to State for marching band and their theme is “TO BE WED,” and the last marching band that did not make it to State is Benton Central/ Oxford and their theme is “ECHOES.”
The marching bands that did move on to State are Western/Russiaville high school, Edgewood/ Ellettsville high school, Lincoln/ Vincennes high school, Concordia Lutheran high school, Fort Wayne high school, John Glenn/ Walkerton high school, Norwell/ Ossian high school, Mount Vernon/ Mount Vernon high school, Princeton Community high school, and last but not least, North Wood/ Nappanee high school. For these marching bands to advance to State means a lot and that means that you deserve to go to State and it proves that you know how to behave in a public place where other bands are competing and performing and it means that you have respect for the other marching bands.